My Review

The first rule of this game is there is no game...
WeaponX
X Member

My Review

Post by WeaponX »

So I don't know if the NDA is lifted or whatever.. but here is my review for the two people interested:

This game will not be the next WoW... and that's the greatest part about it.

The Good
This is basically a Resident Evil MMO. I only saw the first three zones but basically it's a game where you are the hero vs. an onslaught of evil comprised of undead, demons, haunted houses and amusement parks, clowns, etc. I thought this would get old but actually it's a nice change of pace and because the game is set in a "modern day" environment it's sort of refreshing.

Unlike most modern MMO's, where you choose a character development path and have to stick to it until you roll an alt for variety, TSW allows you to learn every skill in the game (Eventually). More on this in a minute.

From the start of the game you pick up two weapons that seem interesting to you. There are melee weapons (swords, hammers, claws), ranged weapons (machine guns, pistols, shotguns), and then magic weapons (elemental, and two others that i can't remember). I went with machine gun / shotgun. Now each weapon has two "paths" so to speak but given enough time (it seems) you could learn both paths for each weapon. The machine gun for example can be either a damage weapon (putting points into dmg increases your dmg .. duh) or heals (LOL... i don't get it.. but anyway... it can heal people...)

Then you have your skills. I love that this game isn't level based. I could go play with a friend who just started playing the game and we could do the same quests. It doesn't matter. There are so many quests in this game you'll never do all of them. What's awesome is you're not grinding out levels. Instead your progressing through fun quests, dungeons, etc. where you gain two types of skill points to spend. One set of points make your weapons stronger while another grants you new skills as you spend them on the current "path" your developing your character on.

Unlike WoW where you have a million different skills available at all times - this game (like GW2) makes you pick 6. So you might have 20 different shotgun abilities and 20 different machine gun abilities.. but you'll pick the 6 that work best FOR YOUR PLAYSTYLE. Caps for emphasis. I love this aspect of the game. I don't think you'll see too many people playing the exact same even if they are varying the same weapons as you. One person may like the DOT"s.. while another the AOE's. It's pretty awesome.

You also have passives that you have to pick to be active (up to 6 as well).

Questing in this game is one of the best things about it. There are all kinds of different types of quests but i'll just post the ones that were the most memorable. You have general quests that are like, "go here, figure something out, or kill something, and come back". Those you do while doing the more fun quests. There are quests where you have to solve a mystery. It's legit. You get no help (unless you ask other players) but you might come up on a computer on someones desk. You click on it... it asks you for a password... you click password hint and it says, "my favorite song" and you have to do research on the guy who owned the house to figure out what music he liked and then pull up a in-game browser and google the name of the song to find the artist! The artist name is the password. Crazy stuff like that lol.

Some quests are sneaking quests where the goal is not to blow through stuff but instead dodge cameras, lights, boss mobs, etc.

Some quests are storyline quests where you have to make decisions that impact your story.

It's just totally different. You really feel like you're just playing a fun game instead of "sigh.. gotta go kill 200 more lions".

What I enjoyed the most - The questing, the game play that felt totally different, the lack of leveling, the lack of grinding, the story driven aspect was even fun. I wish I could have done more dungeon stuff and checked out that aspect of the game (Grouping) but i had no friends. I also never got to try the pvp zones but heard it was different.

The Bad
Originally I commented that the game felt sluggish, graphically boring, etc. Those all got fixed through beta. The only real "bad" i can say is the story in the beginning could really use help. It makes no real sense lol.. but who plays games for story.. RIGHT GUYS.

The character creation is lacking. But just put a trench coat on and get a pair of glasses and your fine lol. I doubt anyone will be playing a chick in this game though because they all look like shemale janitors.

Other than that I don't think it'll be widely popular because it's not a "i'm awesome because i have a full set of T10" kinda game. Doesn't mean that it couldn't be great.

I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, i won't be able to play it until the end of July :\ but if anyone else picks this up it's definitely the kind of game that you can solo in but even more fun to play with someone. If you're tired of the same ole same ole WoW clone... this could be something you enjoy.

That said GW2 incorporates some of these same elements and is graphically amazing so /shrug. May wanna wait till GW2 hits and see which game sticks lol.

St.John
Chief of Staff

Re: My Review

Post by St.John »

WeaponX wrote:Just wait for Guild Wars 2 lawlz.

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

lol

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

I am not going to write a giant review...because I'm lazy, but 3 things, the powers Javin missed are blood and Chaos. The reason Rifles can heal is because all weapons are just totems for you to express your magic abilities through, and the questing is great.

I'm ready for the head start Friday, Go Dragon!

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

I'm so bummed that i'll be outa the game world till July 28th lol :P boooooooo "level" my toon St.

Boom
Site Admin

Post by Boom »

PvP: I tried PvP, but not very much. I was getting single digit framerates in the action because there were lots of people (maybe 15-30 per side?), so I didn't get to have much fun with it. It kinda reminded me of tower wars in AO (which were a blast). I'm not sure if it's just my computer (AthlonX2 2.3ghz, 4g RAM, GTX 260) or if everyone had this issue.

Dungeons: I only tried 1 group "dungeon" - Polaris, which I went through a few times. It takes about 20-30 minutes depending on how good your group is & if you watch the cut scenes. It was pretty fun.

Crafting: You can craft weapons, potions & glyphs. Anyone can do it if they have the materials & know the patterns. The weapon patterns are pretty easy to figure out.
Weapon/Glyph Toolkits are required in addition to mats/runes to make weapons/glyphs & drop from mobs or you can probably get some from quests.
I think potion toolkits can be bought from vendors.

Also I do like that you can use whatever weapons you want. I'd recommend trying out different combinations before dumping skill points into them, though.

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

Are you running a 32 bit windows Boom? The game runs like poopy on 32 bit. I am not a fan of the crafting, I will be honest on that one.

I will avoid the hell out of crafting...but I will give them that I feel accomplished if I ever manage to make something.

Boom
Site Admin

Post by Boom »

nope, 64 :) It's only laggy when it's crowded.