Did you guys forget?

See an FPS that isn't listed here? Start a thread about it.

GaNgSTaR

Did you guys forget?

Post by GaNgSTaR »

About Quake 4? Well, if so that sucks. IF not, then come out and play. :)

=XF= ST_FF has supplied us with a server. Very nice of him to do so. And we have been caught up in EF as of late that we haven't been playing Quake because of it. I know you guys play WoW and COH/V so I'm sure your gamed out. But, those of you that do have Q4 and would like some buddies to play with. We will be on here. The server I think is in Cali but, I had a 50 or less ping to it.

=XF= Stomping Grounds IP 209.246.142.75:28004

Hope to see you guys there. :)

Also, it is running the 1.2 Patch, so you will need to be up to date to see it and play on it. In game voice chat works good, just have to assign a key to activate it. New maps and what not as well. Strafing seems pretty good, and that server sees regualar action.
I still pwn a very large piece of your @$$

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

There were actually fewer people in the Q4 servers than EF servers the other day. I just think the system requirements for these new games are just too far past what most people can piece together.

Lonthu
X Member

Post by Lonthu »

Benoit wrote:There were actually fewer people in the Q4 servers than EF servers the other day. I just think the system requirements for these new games are just too far past what most people can piece together.
The "eye candy" for Q4 is just not good enough to warrant the system requirements of the game. My system is an Athlon XP 3200+, a GEForce 6800 GS/256, and 2048 of pc3200 running in dual channel. This system is probably considered, at best, just the upper end of midrange now, but still adequate for most applications.
With with the vid card oc'd , and all of the graphic tweaks in place, there are astill some places on some maps that I cannot get 60 fps; even when on my own created server. That is WITH the single most important FPS tweak, simple items on, just as in EF.
(for Q4 put this in your autoexec.cfg; seta g_simpleItems "1" )

GaNgSTaR

Post by GaNgSTaR »

I will have to add that to my config Lon. :)

Still though, its gotten better. At least the things that I cared about anyways. I had gotten my PC specifically to be able to play games like this for at least another year. I'm not into Xbox or PS2-3 ect. I need a keyboard and mouse type setup.

I knew going into it that I would most likely need more then even what I got at the time to play it really well. Just couldn't afford to go all out on a SLI type setup. Still I remember you guys holding your own pretty darn well even on full servers (or with like 10 people on it). Your systems seem spiffy enough. :)

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

I'm running an Athlon 3400+ with a Redeon 9600 (bellow min. system specs ;) ) and 1GB PC3200
I had to turn it down to look WORSE than EF. The graphics are screwed up...I haven't checked for updates lately though. And yeah I was pretty good. There were some players that would put us to shame though ;)

The CTF scene doesnt seem to be very big in Quake though.

Lonthu
X Member

Post by Lonthu »

Benoit wrote:There were actually fewer people in the Q4 servers than EF servers the other day. I just think the system requirements for these new games are just too far past what most people can piece together.
Even with the Raven Master down, there are more players right now (10 am edt) in EF (seventy eight) than in Q4 (sixteen), although I suspect most of them are bots. :P However, at the beginning of Q4 there were literally thousands, if not tens of thousands playing Q4 worldwide.There were hundreds of people in the Q4 chatroom on GSA. Now there is one (me). Lol EF has more than that even when the master is up. There were at one point over 2000 Quake4 servers listed. Now, there are 205; and 103 for 6 year old EF. With the brand new patch(1.2 released this week), and my understanding of graphics and netcode being better, Quake 4 is now very playable and enjoyable. I am afraid that it's too little too late though :(

GaNgSTaR

Post by GaNgSTaR »

I've asked that any XF member that is interested, to play tonight at around 8PM EST. So, maybe if you guys are up for some DM games. Hop on with us.

I like the Arena CTF more then the regular CTF. But, which has already been mentioned. There are not a lot of people playing it. :(
I think all this patching has helped but, also not helped in keeping people playing. Servers not getting updated and no backwards compatibility doesn't help either. If you have the 1.2 patch you can't play anything but 1.2 servers.

I'll even put up my Team Speak server (public) if anyone cares to chit chat while I yell loudly at the screen from all the BS shots I get hit with :D

There is one catch though, I find that playing Quake 4 before playing EF can have serious side effects. These include being a noob all over again in EF. Which is more then bad enough. :lol:

Beer w/Straw
X Member

Post by Beer w/Straw »

I didn't like the fact that hl2 wasn't realeased with the greatest multiplayer intentions out of the box. Neither was Q4 as CAL was running mod q4max in alpha and stuff.

Guild Wars factions is also being released tomorrow.

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

Nice, let me know if its any good :)

Veritoff
X Member

Post by Veritoff »

There were actually fewer people in the Q4 servers than EF servers the other day. I just think the system requirements for these new games are just too far past what most people can piece together.
so true. my crappy comp cant handle any new games so i gotta hope for my new comp that im bringing to college will be a super one.

GaNgSTaR

Post by GaNgSTaR »

Q4Max mod does help with systems that are not as swift. And you can lower the settings even further if your FPS is not stable enough.

I just recently upgraded my PC again. Now I have a dual core Pentium D @3.0GHz and 2x2MB cache. Playing Single player shows a nice constant FPS at my screens max res of 1650x1080. Multiplayer is still ok, but I should lower the resolution some to keep it above the 50-60FPS mark.

Otherwise it is good to play it, just need a decent system of course. We still hope on our server about 3 or 4 times a week. And our server is on the 1.2 patch running Q4MAX. So, if your at all game to play, give it a go. :)