Do I need a new video card?

See an FPS that isn't listed here? Start a thread about it.

Benoit
X Member

Do I need a new video card?

Post by Benoit »

Apparently the minimum requirement for Q4 is a Radeon 9700 or better. I have a 9600. Now I'm pretty confident that if the game allowed me to, I could make it work (via a combination of overclocking and reducing gfx settings).

But my question is: will the game let me load and play it with a video card that on paper doesn't meet the requirements? The rest of my system is WAY better than the other specs they have listed so I would think I'd be able to make up the performance difference in there somewhere.

Here's my specs:

Amd Athlon 64 3400+ w/ 2mb L2 Cache
1 GB DDR400 RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 (128 MB, I think - it might even be the Pro model, I dont really remember)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

If Q4 wont let me play the game then I dont think I can play Q4. I realize my GPU is a bottleneck I would like to resolve, but I cant afford to buy the game AND a $150++ video card. :(

Beer w/Straw
X Member

Post by Beer w/Straw »

Duuno dude, I would put more confidence in specs on box: Ram - directx - OpenGL

Thats also one reason why I requested on private thred. Cause there was junk I always used to do with the Q3 engine yo make the graphics teh crap but frame rates teh good.
Last edited by Beer w/Straw on Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

I make it a habit not to read the "specs" because a lot of times its wrong. Here are my specs:

AMD Athalon XP 2.2 Ghz
1 Gig of DDR yo mama ram
700Gigs of hard drive space (LOL)
GForce FX 5900XT 128megs
Some other stuff

And I ran Doom 3 at high settings and didn't have a problem. Soooo I think its all over rated. I would love to upgrade to some awesome system myself... but I don't think its going to be neccisary. If it is, i'll upgrade at some point.

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

lol weapon...I'm using 50 of my 140 Gigs of HD space. I have no idea what else I could fill it with. Even with games at 2-4 Gigs a pop it would take me forever.

-------

Well you guys are fairly reassuring. I guess I'll try it with my current setup.

I've always had a computer that beats the minimum specs until this game :P

I ask this question because CoH refused to load on my parents computer (so I'm afraid I'm just not going to even have the option of TRYING to play Q4 on my setup). I was home on break and bored during the day so I figured I'd load it, turn the graphics all the way down and at the least use it as a chat room.

St.John
Chief of Staff

Post by St.John »

Mooch off your parents...or take $25 and play 3 BlackJack/Baccarat hands, assuming you can win 3 in a row; bet$25, then $50, then $50 on the third hand. $150 Total = Geforce 6600GT!!11!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Fierce Blaze
X Member

Post by Fierce Blaze »

I played Doom3 with a 9600 non pro. You should be fine if you don't want to spend the money. Maybe you should wait to see if there is a demo or get a hacked copy first to see if your computer can run it at a playable level.

Exit
X Member

Post by Exit »

I really think you will be ok bud i played Doom 3 orginally with a ati 9600 and with some tweaks i was still able to pull out 45fps or so which isn't bad because the cap on Doom3 mulitplayer was 60 , i think quake 4 will be exactly along those lines so you should be good to go , i have not seen anywhere what the min reqs is i'd be intertesed to find out myself.

Frost
Site Admin

Post by Frost »

If I recall correctly...the 9600 is actually faster than the 9700. At least the Pro version was.

Boom
Site Admin

Post by Boom »

I would go with a 9800GT

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

Jerk :wink: :roll: