Star Trek Online

See an MMO that isn't listed here? Start a thread about it.
St.John
Chief of Staff

Post by St.John »

I really hate the ship interaction. It should just be your mount not most of the game.

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Hey St, if you get the lifetime sub you can play as a Borg
http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusive_specials

lol

[SEA]KwanDuw
X Member

Post by [SEA]KwanDuw »

So I flew out to the Klingon Neutral Zone and there are systems there that are entirely ground missions / battles that you can join. Neutral Zone area is so much better than the beginning area. :roll: :wink:

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

noobs

Seether
X Member

Post by Seether »

I enjoy it myself... Its definitely something to play in groups for the extra challenge of larger enemy fleets.

The space portion is of course the best of what there is... I enjoy the Ground based combat, though it still could use some polish.

Overall I see a lot potential and I think Cryptic will work pretty hard to make it worth the subscription.

I mean seriously.. who doesn't dream of flying around in a Constitution or Galaxy class.. Hell even a Sovereign, Intrepid or Defiant...?

Hell you can get a little runabout and fool around quite a bit in that manner, and from what I understand the PVP is excellent from Fed vs Klingon, to Klingon House vs Klingon House... Finally you can check the Factions page on the site and already see they have Cardassian and Romulan planned as additional playable races and hopefully their own separate factions...

Normally I would cry foul, but since its all one server in essence, I don't think population inbalance will be a problem...

Easiest thing to do, is go grab a OB key, download the client, install and check it out for yourself, before you make the deep dive into paying for a Live Client + 30 days.

I for one, threw in for Lifetime, because ultimately, I enjoy my Star Trek and also I think this will be the last we may see of the Prime Universe (as they call it now, due to the new flick)...
Last edited by Seether on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ~ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´·.¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸,.~X~.,¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸.·`»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ ~ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

I'm planning on logging quite a few hours today and a bit tomorrow as well.

Is there a mentor system like COH had? I missed that in WOW.

Seether
X Member

Post by Seether »

No mentor system per se.. But you can share your Episodes (missions) and even if the person you are teamed with has completed it, they can accept it again, do it, and receive some skill points for helping you to complete it...

Definitely one of the better ideas for grouping to allow you to play with lower ranked friends.
(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ~ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´·.¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸,.~X~.,¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸¸.·`»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ ~ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

[SEA]KwanDuw
X Member

Post by [SEA]KwanDuw »

Funny video, very long too but real funny.

http://www.giantbomb.com/star-trek-onli ... 1/17-1871/

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

LOL that was awesome. Watched some of it. The ending was awesome when the game bugged out.

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

St.John wrote:I really hate the ship interaction. It should just be your mount not most of the game.
I was talking to Scoobs earlier about this game since global chat channels work across games with CO. And I said pretty much the exact same thing. I wanted more planetside or inside stuff where you see your character. I spent all that time and feel it was wasted since I rarely see the toon.

And the PuGs are bad in those teamed instances.

Other than one so far, the group rips through the first thing then there has to be someone who decides to break away and run off on his own then the mission bogs down because the enemies start gang raping the ones who stick together.

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

I'd be happier with the game as space-only than away mission only. How many MMOs are already out there where you run around with 5 people and kill stuff?

If the away teams were first person shooter, it would be my ideal game, I think (as far as what I'd want to play if implemented correctly)

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

Benoit wrote:I'd be happier with the game as space-only than away mission only. How many MMOs are already out there where you run around with 5 people and kill stuff?

If the away teams were first person shooter, it would be my ideal game, I think (as far as what I'd want to play if implemented correctly)
Not only as in one or the other is what I meant. I thought it just needed more development on things not space battle. I know it's beta and they can and more than likely will add more content but I would hope they would develop more away team content. But I just started and not as deep in the game as say Puck so I have to also think I could be wrong with later levels than what I've seen so far. But I've seen a lot of space and little of away missions.

Of course with Cryptic's move of pulling devs off CO to work on STO, it could be that's what they are already doing much to the dismay of many CO players if you had ever looked at their forums.

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Just hit level 11 (lt cmdr) and picked up a new ship/ upgraded a ton of stuff.

They definitely do a better job at balancing space/ground at around level 9 or 10. But overall the game is still heavy on the space.

My overall impression so far though is kinda 'meh'. I know it's a beta, and they might push out a patch before launch that fixes all of my issues. But there are a ton of little annoying things throughout the game that make it 'not very user friendly'. It's like the Windows Vista of MMOs.

I don't think WoW has anything to worry about. I'll prolly play it on and off until old republic comes out,lol (if other ppl are playing it)

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

lol, Spot. I don't think even Cryptic believes it will be the #1 MMO on the planet. I think they are feeling it needs to compete with EVE and TOR. I think it can compete with EVE but I think TOR is going to overtake them. And that's based on Bioware really and what they did with KotOR.

One thing, I had to start over because my character was vastly gimped. I did an original race and made all the attributes ground level so all the space stuff was sucking. Second toon I picked all space things and just one ground and it took me a lot less time to get back to where I dropped the old toon.

I'm not sure I would even play it until TOR comes out though yet. Right now I am leaning towards a no but this new toon is a bit better so made it a little less frustrating. Now if the constant disconnects that's been happening today would stop.

Oh, btw, with the across game global chat channels, you guys know it was created in CO but works in STO as well the X Syndicate chat channel. Scooby created it when started Champions. That way you can talk smack to Scoobs even from STO and him playing CO ;) I think Scoobs set it as invite only. Not sure but I will check next time I'm on.

But check the CO area that has a list of globals which will be the same as those names in STO.

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Looks like they just pushed a huge patch. Will it fix all my issues?
Added Asian faces to character creator
yep