The official WoW topic

If you want to talk about phat lewt, raid instances, -20DKP or throwing more DoT...here's your forum.

Moderator: Captains: World of Warcraft

Boom
Site Admin

The official WoW topic

Post by Boom »

Being the non-topic-derailing advocate that I am...
yeah.. on to the subject!

Post some screenshots so I can ponder :)

I have school & work so not a ton of time to play it. I will definitely not stay up til 3am like the old days lol - not losing my job & flunking all my classes (again).

Also, will this be like GW - people play steadily for a month or 2, then it tapers off to 1-2 people? :P hehe

Last thing. The addictive factor... I don't want it to take over!
Weap, did you at any time today(valentine's day), say "hold on" or "one sec" when Brooke called your name because you were playing WoW? :lol:

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

WoW requires roughly even level ranges to group.

This isnt a problem if you play regularly and can keep up with whoever you group with. But if you can only play a little bit every day or every other day you can fall behind and end up soloing.

The one thing that CoH does really well is the sidekicking system. It is much easier to group with friends (and powerlevel them unfortunately) in CoH.

WoW quests are more fun and diverse in general. There are some "Kill X number of such-and-such" but past level 15 or so I would say there are more quests than you can possibly do so you can be selective with what you do and dont accept. You can also remove a quest from your log at any time.

PvP is much more balanced. Simple as that. It can become unbalanced if someone can afford better equipment though.

Instances are fun and drop good loot. They are pretty quick from my experience (< 1 hour).

Frost
Site Admin

Re: The official WoW topic

Post by Frost »

Boom wrote:Weap, did you at any time today(valentine's day), say "hold on" or "one sec" when Brooke called your name because you were playing WoW? :lol:
She'd probably beat him up if he did that...

But anyway, anything is addictive. There's definitly people who get hooked into WoW and play, um...forever. Depends a lot on you though. Only way to find out is to try it ;)

Unfamiliar
X Member

Post by Unfamiliar »

You know... I remember Star Control II contributing to my lack of a college degree. I shudder to think how much faster I would have had to withdraw if there had been a game like CoH in my (limited) college days.

slaire

Post by slaire »

It will take some getting used to after Co*. Like...

1 No real travel power until lvl 40 unless you're a druid who get theirs at 30. Lotsa running...but the scenery is nice.

2 No targeting something, clicking a melee attack and hitting F to close with them...unless you're a Warrior or a feral specced Druid.

3 You must be facing your target to attack them...and YOU must maintain facing, the computer doesn't do it for you.

4 Level of Mobs doesn't mean as much in WoW as it does in CoH/V. In Co*, you can generally take 3 even leveled opponents and literally mop the floor with anything -3 or better. In WoW...3 even levels will likely pound the po-gees out of you...3 or more of anything unless its -15 or better can kill you, especially if they're elites. Also, fighting "up" in WoW is a lot harder.

There's probably more, but thats all I can think of at the moment.

Battery

Post by Battery »

I used to play EverQuest (EQ-EverCrack.. wateva :roll:).

Things about that game on levels pissed me off, since Sony wanted people to play in Groups, then having the options to solo.

You really couldn't take on the same lvl mobs that were the same lvl as you in that game as well. Even mobs that were cyan color could kill you, if you were not careful.

But other then that I'm glad I gave up on EQ a long while back.

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

Well, my rogue can handle 3 even mobs at a time hehe.. but thats because i'm stunning some while im killing others. I think every class has its advantages and disadvantages.

It's hard to compare CoH to WoW because they are COMPLETELY different. The only complaint I have about WoW is having to wait till level 40 to get your mount hehe. But the traveling in the game without it isn't THAT bad.

Ok lets see:

1. Time: Anything is addictive like Frost says. This game can be VERY addictive. The beautiful thing about it is though, if i know that I only have an hour or even just 30 minutes, I can log on just to work on my fishing or cooking, or something that I can do without having to travel anywhere. The game has so much content its unreal. You can play through the game with your main character and NEVER do even 1/10 of the missions that are available to you. If your the kind of person who can get very addicted to a game though, you should probably be carefull hehe. I didn't realize how awesome this game was untiill I started playing it and now it takes every bit of will power I have to make sure to prioritize :D

2. Guild Wars: I love GW... but my problem with GW and CoH, is that after you hit your top level, your sort of left with nothing to do. At least in GW you could PvP which was a lot of fun. But it was just a much smaller game. In WoW, you see just as many level 60's running around as you do any other level because, like most will say, the game really gets started at 60. You then start working on your PvP armor, your special weapons, and running awesome instances.

3. THere have been times where I have had to be very carefull not to spend too much on the game and not enough time with Brooke. As long as my time with her is > than the time I spend on the game, I should be ok. But no, I didn't even attempt to play on V-DAY except before she got home. As soon as I heard that car, I logged. Otherwise i'd be a very very stupid man :D

As far as the level difference that Ben was talking about, it does kind of suck. However, if you get on a server with your friends, we don't mind helping you out. Kwanduw has a level 60 and he always logs on his 60 to help me and Armpit run our missions or he'll run us through an instance getting us great XP and leveling us faster. Plus we can always start a lowbee character and play along :D This is one of those kind of games that are fun to play with or without people. It's not really untill your upper 20's early 30's that you start feeling like you NEED to group. But I guess that is based upon the type of character you play.

Each class in the game is so diverse and there is so much to do. My rogue for example:

1. Pick Pockets mobs and then Lock picks the little chests he gets off them raising up his lock picking ability so that he can either make money lock picking for other players, opening chests inside of instances, lock pick doors that are sealed, ect. It's like a fun mini-game designed for a rogue hehe.

2. Cloaks, and works 90% of the time in secrecy, always getting the jump on mobs and other players.

3. Works with Poisons, as a rogue you get to put poison on your blades so you learn poison recipes, and get more profecient with poisons as you make better ones.

4. Leatherworking and Skinning: My two main professions because Rogues wear Leather armor. So I skin animals to raise my skinning, and then work on my Leatherworking so that I can make awesome armor that I can even sell on the Auction House for really good money.

5. Fishing: I can fish!! w00t

6. Cooking: Just got my cooking to 225/300 last night :D I can make food that will not only restore your health, but will also give you +stamina and other attributes.

And the list goes on... but the point is, Theres SOOOO much to do in this game lol.

Most of all, I recommend you play on a PvP server. It has been soo much fun. You have to learn what zones to stay clear of (because some zones are all out gank fests) when your trying to just run a few missions. But man.. some days... you'll be doing some missions with some friends.. and suddenly WW3 breaks out lol. PvP in my oppinion is what keeps a game interesting. Killing NPC's just gets boring because the computer never tries anything new.

The other night, Kwanduw, Psartryn, and myself went out to an Alliance territory and just started killin them left and right lol. It was a lot of fun and they eventually brought re-inforcements so it got tricky. We still did pretty well even though we died a few times.

Death in this game is no big deal. It just damages your armor and weapons which , some will say is A HUGE deal at the higher levels costing you a gold or two to repair everything, which I say "big deal" lol. You can make 10 gold a day easy at level 30 if you know what your doin :)

It's a fun game ... but the only thing I would be carefull abuot when going into it is, make sure you have your priorities and make sure you give yourself a time limit lol.

Frost
Site Admin

Post by Frost »

I'm not sure I'd call fishing "content", by the way :)

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

Man, I love fishing lol. Different bait... different fish, fishing contests, chillin by the lake with your friends, drinkin some ale, screen gets blurry.. and your tryin to click the little bobble.

What you talkin bout!!

Frost
Site Admin

Post by Frost »

Well, it's not exactly the most involving thing in the world. It does one thing right though...captures the pure boredom of the real fishing experience :)

Wassy
X Member

Post by Wassy »

A lot of stuff in WoW seems really interesting to me. But I'm kinda over the whole fantasy thing from playing so so many RPG's for most of my life. There's also no way I would ever play more than one MMORPG at once. I don't have time for that crap. Basically though, I'll play whatever most of my friends play, because I enjoy just playing with friends the most regardless of the game.
Art Mistress

Fierce Blaze
X Member

Post by Fierce Blaze »

Fishing is yet another excuse to drink beer, that is all.

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

I posted a bunch of pictures Boom in my folder in the gallery :D Some of the text is pretty funny lol.

Something else that I should mention that rocks about WoW. You can mod out your interface :D I'm using a mod that combines something my brother wrote up as well as some popular mods that are very helpfull.

Here is us fishing btw ;) I figure you of all people will relate to this hehe. (SWG)

Fishing In Booty Bay

Unfamiliar
X Member

Post by Unfamiliar »

Makes me wonder... How did "booty" evolve from meaning "plunder", "stolen goods", or "valuable loot" into meaning "buttocks"?

Mr E-Man
Location: South Jersey Coast of Freedom - near the Boardwalk!

Post by Mr E-Man »

Unfamiliar wrote:Makes me wonder... How did "booty" evolve from meaning "plunder", "stolen goods", or "valuable loot" into meaning "buttocks"?
I think you just answered your own question! :roll:
CoH: Mr E-Man~Energy Arc~IG-2112MD~Slayer Faith~Master TimeLord~Mr E-Being
CoV: Mr E-Villain~Dark Willow~Cold Satisfaction~Mr E-Mech~Mr E-Lectric