HOLY CRAP!!

The game that gave birth to the X Clan, yo mama jokes, and nacho fever back in November of 2000!

Moderator: Moderators

HellRaiser
X Member

Post by HellRaiser »

Benoit wrote:The det pack jump off the bridge? I remember having to move my "use" button so that i could place it, shoot and jump at the same time.
Yep.

One of the first things I learned (from weapon in dueling) was to put the use item within the easiest of reach. Use item is so key in dueling. But I used a pretty bizarre config for movement (well weird just in that not many others used it. Though I tried to advocate it as much as possible).

The_Rock
X Member

Post by The_Rock »

noobs you guys always did focus to much on movement and not enough on fragging

HellRaiser
X Member

Post by HellRaiser »

I'll remember that next time. Thanks bud! ha - nice as always to be rewarded with a random Rock visit.

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

I came from deathmatch. I never had to learn how to frag.

HellRaiser
X Member

Post by HellRaiser »

Cause you played with all those 133t experts 8)

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

hey I came in 2nd in point in my first TNT match. I could frag ;)

Not to mention that time I owned your point total on voy2 (before I knew how to even strafe)

HellRaiser
X Member

Post by HellRaiser »

8)

I was merely pointing out that you were a diamond in the rough :oops: :oops:

The_Rock
X Member

Post by The_Rock »

i Thought kiss the rings puppy was sj..or maybe he just said it alot cause i swear he had it binded.

i used the arrow keys enter as use ctrl as crouch and shift as jump but my keyboard had a wierd curve to it it wasnt a flat straight keyboard in fact i had issues using another keyboard to play the game.

As much as i may say otherwise not enough good things can be said about strafe jumping. It adds the aspect of movement to the game at high speeds. Compariong it to a fragfest game like halo is a good example. Although halo requires skill to aim,and manage all the diffrent guns and items while you play you dont really have to concentrate to much on your movement its extremelly slow and rudementary almost like playing doom again. The aiming system is also made simpler by this fact everythings a bit more controlled theres no way for a player to vary his speed or hieght that will have a drastic effect on the outcome of the fight.(the grenade jump doesnt count because its useless in a fight),

Now you look at a game based off the q3 engine like ef not only do you have the guns and items to manage you also have momvement as a factor not just speed but height and angles as well(sliding up the slanted pillars). This allowed fights to be intresting and diffrent almost everytime and allowed each player to adapt a significant style espiaclly in the way they balanced out the fire rate/dmg ratio of the weapons.

Also with strafe jumping you can design the lvls in a way to have skilled players in this movement aspect of the game develop tricks some harder than others. With the most skilled strafers being able to preform ridiculous tricks. Allowing players who may not have as much skill in fragging to be just as usefull as an all out fragger. While players who had less skill in strafing could focus more on fragging. This really added to the team aspect of the game allowing players to take on indivdual roles instead of adpoting the i can do it all philosaphy, and yes while alot of players were extremelly good at both we still tended to lean more towrds one direction. Even if you take an almost perfectly balanced player like hellraiser. He Combined both skills to make himself one of the best players in EF. However there were better runners and there were better fraggers. They may not of had the balance but in a team game may have proven to be more usefull.

That takes me onto my final point of why ef and games run on the q3 engine far outwiegh the gameplay from modern day fraggers, guile. That is pickups. Armour and health boosters. Instead of being set with a certain amount of health and or armour(shields) in the case of halo you could almost instanty modify your current lvls. Just by jumping behind a pillar and going from 50 health to 100 from 2 hyposprays to survive another photon splash or compresion rifel shot or even in extreme casses. Going from close to 0 health and in 3 seconds thx to the movment aspect bound out of harms way grab an armour and hypo pick ups and be back up to 100/100 while your enemy not making the move thinking he could finish you with one blast and jumps down to follow you is still at 50/0 and finds himself in a world of trouble than hurt cause you just humilated him with a grenade blast finish.

I dont think they will ever create more games like ef,quake,the old UT's. Or at least not for a while if they do. People are to concerned with realisim and effects these days and not enough with gameplay espiecally with online multiplayer. Perhaps the most neggative effect from this is the effect it has on the online community. The sense of competativeness you get when weapons chirping you so you 1vs1 him and he defeats you because your a pure runner then you go into a 6vs6 and walk away with the highest score and 8-10 caps for your teams win..well kind of gives you a punch to throw back at him. But in a game that focuses every player to raise there skill leval with only 1 or 2 aspects if you have a type of player dominating those aspects theres not much else you can imrpove on yourself to make it feel like a competition rather than a pawning of your face with his sniper.

I guesse my whole point to that speech is i freaking hate wow..cept bgs

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

How much you drink tonight?

St.John
Chief of Staff

Post by St.John »

I remember talking to Rock and Phil on MSN messenger live video chat. It was really f^ckin weird. I think I saw his mom open the fridge in the back ground in what seemed to be a nice house.
[img:15f1ed8b83]http://i64.tinypic.com/2dukwep.jpg[/img:15f1ed8b83]

The_Rock
X Member

Post by The_Rock »

haha ya lol long time ago..msn video chat was hilarious. And that is one of my fav pics of you i also like the one in the white shirt with you passed out on your desk lol is that a little drool??:P

'" The only thing women are good for is anal"

- Saint John , 2000

St.John
Chief of Staff

Post by St.John »

Rock what happened?
[img:15f1ed8b83]http://i64.tinypic.com/2dukwep.jpg[/img:15f1ed8b83]

The_Rock
X Member

Post by The_Rock »

what happened to what you lost me lol