New comp for Psartryn time

Got a computer problem? Want to brag about your sexy machine? Anything technology related.

Moderator: Moderators

Psartryn
X Member

New comp for Psartryn time

Post by Psartryn »

This is my first build, and it's more of a reach for the stars build, I am not purchasing for a month (at least) and I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping. This is giving me a benchmark to start with. I will be scaling it down to 2k or less, most likely...but like I said, I wanted a starting spot. (Edit: Forgot blueray burner)

Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Professional Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($274.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($389.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition ATX Full Tower Case ($267.50 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Plextor PX-LB950SA Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($144.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Planar PX2710MW 27.0" Monitor ($240.76 @ CompUSA)
Monitor: Planar PX2710MW 27.0" Monitor ($240.76 @ CompUSA)
Total: $2773.92
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-29 02:12 EDT-0400)

also have to double check to make sure it doesn't have a compatibility issue. "Some Intel Z68 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Ivy Bridge CPUs."

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

No one cares...Got it!

St.John
Chief of Staff

Post by St.John »

For what it's worth that personal computer meets X's standards.

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

LOL St!
Sorry dude, been so busy. Let me look at your build and i'll comment :D

Gwyndolynne
X Member

Post by Gwyndolynne »

Psartryn wrote:No one cares...Got it!
I tried to "Like" it.. But I couldn't find the button..

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

Ok here's my critique of your build:

First off... you can't go wrong with what you posted. However, when it comes to paying top dollar you're not going to see huge performance gains past a certain point. If you had 3k it'd almost be better to spend 1.5k of it now and shelf the other 1.5k for a computer in 3 years or something if you really want to "future proof".

http://imgur.com/vmEPm (this was the computer i just built for a co-worker who does extensive graphic design) I opened up 7 Adobe CS5 programs at the same time + every Microsoft Office program + firefox and started surfing... no lag and i counted 2 seconds for every program to load. 2 seconds... this thing is insane.

The reason why I'm starting with this is because graphic design and gaming are different... however... graphic design is going to get more use of extra processing power from a CPU then gaming will.. and i know you'll be just using the system to game.

From what I read (one source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34306 ... aming-help ) the i5-2500k which is the cpu i'm using and the one i just put in her machine is still one of the best gaming CPU's on the market and i'd argue will be all any game will even utilize for some time still to come. But /shrug - if you want to get the extra 5% increase for the extra $110 bucks it's your call. I just don't know if $110 bucks is worth the small increase.

Mobo that i'm getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157293 The thing is awesome. Just installed it in co-workers comp. Couple of reasons to go with this board (or something similar)
- If you decide you still want ivy bridge - Z77 is the way to go
- It offers true native usb 3.0 support (2.0 is going away obviously)
- It's $150 bucks cheaper and all you lose is a couple of USB2.0 and 1 firewire (you do anything that needs firewire? video editing that requires firewire? Just want to make sure).
- PCIe 3.0 for newer cards

Ram: Do you need 32 gigs of ram? lol :P i know we were talking about this and it just seemed fun. Honestly, it's not a big deal if you just want bragging rights but there's no way your computer is going to even touch 16gigs for gaming. The most ram games are even able to utilize right now is 8. 16 would give you plenty of head room and someday when games need more you'll have money to spend on it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233143 that's what i'm running and basically similar to what i put in my co-workers machine (opened how many programs again in under 20 seconds? lol) A savings of $110 bucks.

Storage: Just depends on if you're going to store everything on your desktop lol :P I'd get yourself a crucial 256 sata 3 instead for 200 bucks and throw a high speed 1tb sata in your machine that you can partition for games, files, etc. and use the SSD for your OS. Even with the 512 depending on how many games you'll have on your machine you're going to fill that up way to fast for it to really be useful as storage. That said, it's a good price for the size.. but again.. almost $200 bucks in savings here for something that won't bring a huge increase.

Graphics Card: 670 vs 680 - 5% increase (not necessarily in performance) for $100 bucks more. Again this is totally up to you but that $100 bucks would "future proof" your machine in savings better than on a card where you aren't going to see any difference in game. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130787 |||| http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef ... 00-15.html

Cooler/psu/optical drive/case - all fine and personal preference :P

Don't know anything about the monitors but i think i read they had 3 year warranties which is nice. I can't even imagine 2 - 27" but i'm jealous lol.

Javin savings: $670.00 towards your next machine in 3 years or whatever (i usually go 5). You'd already be half way there ;) and you're not going to see a huge performance drop (or any IMO.)

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

I wasn't really future proofing, Just building, Your build seems more reasonable and allows me to more happily buy 2 27 inch monitors... I still kinda want 32gigs of ram...32 GIGS OF RAM!!! I'm dizzy just got back from my bike ride.

XerO
X Member

Post by XerO »

XerO

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

So I bought a premade system because it seemed like a great deal. Still setting it up, but here it is. Stupid secret world wants to completely repatch, so I guess I'm not going to really be able to test it until tomorrow. But it ran Rage Very well.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/sys/3242851794.html

* Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz w/ turbo boost, which was never used)

* 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM

* (2) - 150GB Western Digital Velociraptor 10,000 RPM hard drives

* (1) - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive

* EVGA GTX-570 (GDDR5)

* Corsair 850W power supply

* HUGE Antec Twelve-hundred PC case (LOTS of airspace and fans to keep it running cool, filters on all intakes)

* Asus DVDRW drive

* Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard

* Logitech G15 keyboard

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

Oredered this Monitor. I was going to hold off but the sale ends tomorrow.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 38566&SID=

I will be getting another one, but I need to travel twice next week, so I will snag a 2nd one after I'm reimbursed from work. at least I saved 90 bucks

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

Take 2: Razer 15 2080, 4k touch screen

Psartryn
X Member

Post by Psartryn »

its glorious!

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

Nice! Building computers is fun but I never know what to do with the old hardware (which may still be 100% fine for someone else).