Recording FPS games?

Got a computer problem? Want to brag about your sexy machine? Anything technology related.

Moderator: Moderators

Boom
Site Admin

Recording FPS games?

Post by Boom »

I'm trying to record Project Blackout, but the framerate drops to about 15fps. I've tried Fraps & Bandicam on different settings. Same result with both.

So I'm guessing it's hardware related..

Current specs (if I remember right)

Athlon64 x2 - 2.3ghz
Geforce GTS 250
4gb DDR2 RAM
WD 250gb 7200rpm HD
cheap 500w PSU

Anyone know where the bottleneck is? :?

I'd guess HD first, CPU 2nd, Video 3rd.
HD would be an easy fix/addition. CPU might require a new MB. I think I got the video card about a year ago so I'd rather not replace that again already :)

St.John
Chief of Staff

Post by St.John »

I use to record WoW arena games using xfire 2-3 years ago. I think the comp had a 2.8 dual core while everything was somewhat decent (I gave it away so I'm not sure, it had 4 gigs of ram though). The CPU was the bottle neck cause it would sit at "100% usage" and I'd get low frame rates. I was recording on the highest quality setting though.
[img:15f1ed8b83]http://i64.tinypic.com/2dukwep.jpg[/img:15f1ed8b83]

Boom
Site Admin

Post by Boom »

The new hd seems to do the trick, mostly. I'm using bandicam because i don't want to upload 5-10gb files to youtube.
There does seem to be a slight drop to around 30-50fps at times (vs 60-65 normal), and it's enough that it affects my play, so will toy around with settings.
Might upgrade cpu too :)