Bout that time

Got a computer problem? Want to brag about your sexy machine? Anything technology related.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

Instead of buying all that hardware, you might have just saved money buying a legit boxed copy of 7. Just saying.

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Low blow Dark, low blow....

Well, I guess buying cheap Windows software from a shady website turned out to be a terrible terrible idea. Who knew? lol

So, I was able to get my drive formatted and I'm now reinstalling Windows with the cd I bought from new egg. If this works, I'll know it was my shady copy of Windows, and will need to just buy a new "legit" copy.

I don't suppose you know of a site that sells just Windows serial keys. I hate waiting for the copy to be shipped, when all I need is the key :?

[SEA]KwanDuw
X Member

Post by [SEA]KwanDuw »

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Karmas a btch Kwan, Rodgers is gonna throw 6 TDs to Nelson tommorrow, just you watch.

So, I got the Windows boot error even after formatting / installing the "good" Windows. Since the error involves problems with the PC communicating with Windows, my new theory is that my BIOS version is bad or corrupted. I'm gonna see if I can revert back to the factory BIOS version, if that's possible...

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Well, I'm back to where i started - Windows installed, all updates and drivers installed. But I still get random freeze/ lockups with buzzing sound. It happens during games, video streams, browsing Internet, downloading swtor beta.

So, old problem, new hardware hasn't fixed it.

I'm thinking now it might be a cache problem. After I manually reset after the lockup, I get disc read error, can't boot, but if I leave it powered off for 10min or so and try, it boots up fine. After I get back in Windows and launch Chrome it will gives me a cache read error since. The PC also tends to run slower/ lockup if I'm doing multiple things (downloading updates, browsing Internet, and moving around files).

Now, how do i fix this? lol Bad ram settings in bios?

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

If you have bad ram settings, did you try to reset the bios to default?

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Yeah, I tried it all lol

-Reset Bios to default
-Reset cmos (removed the little battery).
-Updated Bios to latest version
-and tried XMP settings for ram

Nothing seemed to work.

The latest thing I'm trying: I cleaned off the thermal grease from my cpu, took off the aftermarket cooler, and put on the stock cooler. My theory is that I somehow put the cooler on wrong / or put on too much grease that is messing with the cpu cache. When I did this I also noticed some of the parts on the motherboard (mobo heat sinks) still had their plastic sticker on? (oops,lol) Maybe that could have caused some probs?

If this doesn't work I think I might just get a new Motherboard, then if that doesn't work, a new cpu,lol I WILL GET THIS TO WORK, AHHHH

edit. nvm, cleaning the cpu / replacing heat sink didn't fix it.

Mace
X Member

Post by Mace »

dude get a dell

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

I know its only been a day since I added my new Motherboard, but I gotta say, I think the problem is solved. Had no idea Motherboards could cause that many problems, or be the cause. Oh well, PC fixed 8)

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

FireSpot wrote:I know its only been a day since I added my new Motherboard, but I gotta say, I think the problem is solved. Had no idea Motherboards could cause that many problems, or be the cause. Oh well, PC fixed 8)
Sweet. Now you can go to the dark side. Oh wait, he made this group Repubs. ;)

On a serious note, did your mobo have any busted caps?

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

DarkPowers wrote: On a serious note, did your mobo have any busted caps?
No noticeable physical damage at all. I have no idea if it was the BIOS updates I did, the on board audio, or maybe the overclocking damaged something, but it was borked.

wX has the same motherboard, and it sounds like hes having some issues now too,lol It might just be a bad run of motherboards?

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

Not to be a jerk, but I think you probably could have concluded it was the motherboard after determining it wasn't the RAM.

Boom
Site Admin

Post by Boom »

Benoit wrote:Not to be a jerk, but I think you probably could have concluded it was the motherboard after determining it wasn't the RAM.
what a jerk :wink:

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Such a jerk! lol I don't know, if you kept getting a Windows Boot error/ faulty removable hardware error (optical drive / hard rive) you wouldn't try the optical drive / hard drive first?

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

lol. You know, he replaced so much I could have sworn he said he did the mobo already. :D