Bout that time

Got a computer problem? Want to brag about your sexy machine? Anything technology related.

Moderator: Moderators

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

I'd love to test that,except I'm at the point again trying to reinstall Windows...except my PC won't let me,lol

Sometimes the install hangs at extracting Windows files. (the 2nd step in installing Windows).
Sometimes the mobo won't detect that there even is a hard drive.
Sometimes I'll get bootmgr error, cd can't boot.

I really think this is kind of my underlying problem, this happened before, and even after I got Winows installed I got the other 2 errors.

The few things I know it's not, all of which I replaced: the hard drive, optical drive, windows cd (burned a few copies plus tried my official copy), ram, psu, and Sata cables.

I think it might be the mobo, maybe bad ports? I don't see how a bad vid card would caus this? Or maybe it's just bad bios settings? /sigh I think the next thing I try will be a new mobo.

Boom
Site Admin

Post by Boom »

If Windows won't install it's most likely either:
1) bad ram (seems you tested this. try again, but set aside if it fails?)
2) bad hd (think you ruled this out too)
3) bad copy of Windows (though I think you said previously it was legit?)

I had the same problem awhile back & I think it turned out being a stick of RAM.

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

lol I think when this is all figured out, I'll end up having enough parts to build another PC.

-It's a downloaded/burned oem (paid) copy of Windows (so semi-legit? lol)
-It's definitely not the hard drive, although I picked up a bigger SSD drive anyways,lol
-And I'm not totally for sure that it's the ram. it's 4 4gig sticks - I tried swapping each one out and ran mem tests, but the way Windows installation freezes, makes me think it could be the ram.... so i ordered a new set,lol

If the new ram doesn't work, It'll be down to my mobo, gpu, or cpu. hmmm

Boom
Site Admin

Post by Boom »

Just read this.. lol - maybe it's not really hanging?
http://blog.garypretty.co.uk/index.php/ ... t-21-wait/

Have you used the CD before to successfully install Windows?

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Don't think that's my issue. After it's stuck for for 20+min the PC restarts and then I get a bootmgr error can't boot from cd.

I've never successfully installed off this current Windows CD, but the problem happens when I try to install from the CD that did work previously.

DarkPowers
X Member

Post by DarkPowers »

Since you have 4 sticks of 4 gigs each, did you try to install with just 1 stick in then add the others after install? I've actually had to do that with more than 8 gigs on a machine with Vista. And it was just that one machine but worked fine on another with more than 8 gigs. I didn't think that bizarre thing would happen with 7 though but /shrug. All the sticks worked fine but just Windows installation didn't like apparently my hardware configuration on that machine with more than 1 stick of 4 gigs installed.

Oh and since you burned the DVD, what speed did you burn at? A lot of OS ISO's get screwed burning at higher speeds here.

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Hmm, just burned the cd on 'auto speed'. I guess I could try manually set it to 4x, or something slower? I did try a bunch of ram configurations too, 1 stick, 2 sticks, and 3,lol All froze.

At this point I'm gonna wait to mess with it again until tomorrow when I get my bigger SSD. Now, I'm just searching around for the best set up system with a SSD boot drive/most used programs with a bigger mechanical drive for data.

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Ok, new hardware installed, and... got the same error,lol fml

I'm trying something new, and so far its working - I kept getting a 'Windows Boot Error - removable drive is causing Windows not to boot'. The error told me to check the hard drive, optical drive, and usb drives that were connected. I swapped out the optical and hard drives, so I knew those weren't the problem. The only usb drives I have in are for my keyboard and mouse. And I can't really load up windows without a keyboard / mouse.

So now, I disconnected the two front case usb connections from my case to my motherboard, and things seem fine for now. Maybe my problem all along was bad front case usb connections, or mayb I just plugged them in wrong? lol

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Got Windows installed, working on installing updates/drivers, except I keep getting random freezes/restarts/blue screens/and 'disk read errors on start up' lol

I'm hoping after I install all of the updates / drivers this will all be fixed :(

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

Wish I could just be there lol... mail your computer to me!

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Man, I think my problem now is the shady-a$$ copy of Windows I installed,lol I have like 100+ Windows Updates that need to be installed, but it keeps failing, and my PC clock time just won't sync via the internet.

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

Glad I was able to help ya man!! We successfully got your card jammed in there good.... :(

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

lol i got it out and plopped it in the white slot. I'm in Windows updating my nvidia drivers again. And dude! there was a blue led Asus logo under the vid card slot at the top! Now I have another blue light on my mobo!

Thanks again for calling and shaming me for my copy of Windows :(

WeaponX
X Member

Post by WeaponX »

lol... i torrent about everything... but it just sounds like you have a haxed windows! I don't want your identity stolen and then the next thing you know some OTHER spot is out there saying he's the best sniper....

FireSpot
X Member

Post by FireSpot »

Getting 3 diff Windows boot errors now.

When I try to start Windows with the version I was able to install, I get an error saying registry files were corrupted, use Windows repair to fix.Can't boot in normal, safe, or last good settings, all get this error.

When I put my Windows install cd in to boot off (any boot cd, even my good copy) I get: an error saying 'couldn't boot because you're missing integral hardware for install' or I get an error saying 'windows has trouble communicating with your hardware, remove bad drives'.

I have 4 diff hard drives to test, 2 diff optical drives, 8 diff sticks of memory, all get the errors.

:? [/url]