City of Heroes is Coming Back

Have Laser Beams shooting out your eyes? Enjoy dressing up in funny costumes and beating up bad guys (or good guys)? Here's the place to talk about it.

Moderator: Captains: City of Heroes

ArtemisAlpha
X Member

City of Heroes is Coming Back

Post by ArtemisAlpha »

Heya, Syndicate! It's been, well, years. But I couldn't be happier to reach out and let all of you know - a fan run server for City of Heroes is going public.

Instructions for how to join the current test server version is at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/c ... questions/

This upcoming Saturday, 4/27, they're going to wipe the test server and launch the full private server. If any of our old officers are wanting to restart an X Syndicate supergroup there, I'm in. That being said! If none of our old officers want to start a supergroup there, I will. I'd be happy to use the X Syndicate name, or not, as folks prefer - I don't want to step on any toes.

ArtemisAlpha
X Member

Post by ArtemisAlpha »

And, just hours later this private server is in legal limbo. But, the code is out there now. I guess CoH private server whack-a-mole is going to begin.

Benoit
X Member

Post by Benoit »

I may try it out at some point, but the main draw of an MMO is a "massive" server population. I don't know how popular a fan server will be, but this will probably amount to little more than some nostalgia for me.

ArtemisAlpha
X Member

Post by ArtemisAlpha »

There's another version of it back up. And, at its peak this weekend there were about 2700 people on line, enough for it to have a solid MMO feel. Right now is certainly a nostalgia rush, and there's already signs of balkanization into at least 4 private servers if I'm seeing things right (the secret server which I assume is still out there, a public server run by the people behind the secret server, the discord code team's server, and the reddit code team's server).

Having played a bit now, I'm liking some of the changes in the "i25" version. It shows that development has continued on it.
Last edited by ArtemisAlpha on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuickFlow
X Member

Post by QuickFlow »

Well well, who knew I would be drawn back here again ;)

ArtemisAlpha
X Member

Post by ArtemisAlpha »

Since I wasn't an officer of the X, I opted to not name the supergroup that I started X Syndicate. But my open invitation to all of the clan still exists - hit me up in game on global chat @artemisalpha and I'll get you a supergroup invite.

ArtemisAlpha
X Member

Post by ArtemisAlpha »

Benoit wrote:I may try it out at some point, but the main draw of an MMO is a "massive" server population. I don't know how popular a fan server will be, but this will probably amount to little more than some nostalgia for me.
On server population, the way that they're running things right now, there's actually more population online on the single server than there was on Freedom back in the day. Of course, this isn't going to last. Years of nostalgia are exploding in activity right now. But, I expect this is going to be like any launch: 30 days from now, we'll see a dip in activity, and 90 days from now we'll have a better view of what things will look like in the really long term.

But today, the servers are packed.

Doctor Dude
X Member

Post by Doctor Dude »

Hey AA!

Doctor Dude is currently on as a level 7 emp/elec just for old times sake (not the most fun class) but I will be looking to alt things up a bit. I am playing with @sfpuck I think we went on the server with the E name (excelsior?) and went going rogue/resistance. Tbh I didn’t play as much the last year or so, and I don’t remember going rogue vs traditional at all. I need to relearn some of this stuff, but it is coming back.

Peak of 1503 in the wait queue last night around 10pm eastern.

My wife is already concerned....

Will try to find you in game when we get things sorted out. I am out all day today.

Skankabelle1

Post by Skankabelle1 »

IM SO EXCITED! seriously been dying to play again lately and this is just the best, hope to see you guys around! I'm on excelsior as siouxsie soux and tourchbearer as Ms. muffin.[/i]

ArtemisAlpha
X Member

Post by ArtemisAlpha »

I've landed on the Torchbearer server (we're already split!). I'm @artemisalpha in global chat - if you're on torchbearer let me know and I can get you an invite. I'll be looking for Ms Muffin!

WasabiPeanut and NuclearBrother are already on board as well with a couple of alts.

Frost
Site Admin

Post by Frost »

Where are you guys at?

Frost
Site Admin

Post by Frost »

Managed to get my old global handle back, send me a global friend request @Frost

ArtemisAlpha
X Member

Post by ArtemisAlpha »

So, here's my pitch to try to get folks to gather on Torchbearer. It looks like the Homecoming servers are going to be sticking around for a while (knock on wood), and running with the X-Syndicate was really good times.

Don't you want to get the band back together again?!

Frost
Site Admin

Post by Frost »

Good time confirmed. Missed all you guys. I should be around later at night usually. Admittedly my life is way busier now than it was when I first started playing ;)

QuickFlow
X Member

Post by QuickFlow »

Think that goes for everyone frost, ive been on excelsior as of late, but next im on torchbearer ill try to send a message, look for my old global @Quickflow